Thursday, September 11, 2008

Week 2

Recovered from jet lag: CHECK.

Developed a borderline addiction to guava off the tree: CHECK.

Been out-knowledged in all things sports related (with special attention given to cricket and rugby) by a group of nuns: CHECK.

I think I have more or less settled into life in Nkandla. It's the middle of my second week here, and already I've had a sunburn that left a small portion of my back peeling, as well as gotten soaked walking to lunch yesterday in a heavy mist/light rain. In more exciting news, I've started driving (mostly between the convent and the center, much to the enjoyment of the kids who think it's hilarious to see me lurching into the driveway as I try and familiarize myself with each of the vehicles (mostly trucks) temperament and shifting sensitivity. Driving on the left is not quite as hard as I'd imagined, but I do have to remind myself to look both ways and to signal, rather than turn on the windshield wiper when I'm about to turn.

Last Friday I accompanied the social worker, Ryan, and Sisters Hedwig and Carola on a home visit to see a grandmother who claimed she had 16 children at home. We accounted for only 12 (only 12!?) and recorded their various levels of documentation – most children who are under grandparents or older siblings care are eligible for child welfare grants, but require birth certificates and ID cards to get them. I think the lion's share of Ryan, the caregivers and the sisters work is helping families navigate through the office of home affairs and get their documents in check. One of the youngest in the family we visited is now staying with us at the center (I mentioned him in my last email) – his mother passed away and he just got out of the hospital. Normally he's very outgoing and seems quite at home here, but today he was a bit listless and spent most of the morning sitting on my lap and dozing before he went off for a nap. The other little one is now at home with her family, preparing to live with her Aunt who will need to take a number of courses in ARV (anti-retro-viral) treatment before she can care for her full time. The children (not to mention Benjamin, Ryan and myself) have been quite entertained the last few days by the addition of three very small kittens to the center. I don't know where they came from but they've adopted the toy room as their home and in the morning they come trotting down one after the other looking for breakfast left overs – it's quite cute.

Speaking of toys – if anyone is interested in supporting the kids here at the center, I have some requests that would really help. I'm spending the majority of my days with them and will start more formal tutoring in English and other subjects (we just got a report of which kids aren't doing well in school and in what subjects) next week, and we've already exhausted the puzzle selection (and we have some serious puzzlers here!). Puzzles of all levels would be fantastic. Also – basic playing cards would be great.

On to the nuns: Sr. Hedwig – what can I say, if anyone was in the running for Sainthood, it would be her. Today I was given the task of photographing all our kids and entering their case histories into the computer in preparation for updating them. Time after time as I read these horrifying stories of children struggling to survive on their own, or suffering from gross neglect or worse, here comes Sr. Hedwig – petitioning the police to remove the child when necessary, getting the families enrolled in grants and food aid, and ultimately bringing the child to the Center where no matter what their histories hold, I see smiling children every day. She also managed to single-handedly impress Elton John so much when he visited in Nkandla (he saw the documentary and arranged a trip but refused any press coverage which I really admire) that he bought her a truck to do her home visits with. I had a funny moment with one of the other sisters while recounting the story when she reminded me that Sir Elton is "gay now," as if this was a recent revelation and she just wanted to make sure I was in the loop (there was no judgement implied).

I also work daily with Sr. Carola who oversees the children's center. Yesterday was her birthday and we celebrated last night with Amarula (thankfully I resisted the urge to take it as a shot, considering it was served in a shot glass. I think that would have been frowned upon, so I just sipped it) and a smorgasbord of great proportions – chocolate, nuts, chips, all sorts of candies. I felt like I was at a slumber party or something (although it was a bit more mellow, and instead of games and gossip there were just a lot of nuns).

I'm starting to learn all the kid's names, though I still can't make any of the clicking sounds that give Zulu such a great sound all around, but I entertain the kids trying so it's worth it. This afternoon I'm meeting with Ryan to plan activities for next week as all the kids are off for Spring break. We'll be doing lots of crafts, outdoor games and hopefully an Easter Egg hunt.

I hope everyone is well and want to truly thank you all for your love, support and prayers. This week the reality of the situation around me really hit me, and I had some down days – but like the rain that filled much of the week but finally ended last night, this morning I was greeted with bright sun, the sound of children playing, and a beautiful view of the village that is Nkandla, and my heart was once again lifted.

With much love,

Megan

No comments: